Pennsylvania Power & Light Company
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
The Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. is an energy utility and transmission distributor based in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This small collection consists of a course book from a Pennsylvania Power & Light Company lighting workshop held in the fall of 1957.
The Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. is an energy utility and transmission distributer based in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Arising from a business merger, the company was founded on June 4, 1920, and soon after began providing energy to eastern and central Pennsylvania. Renamed PP&L Corporation circa 1995, the company continues to operate as an energy provider within northeastern Pennsylvania. The collection consists primarily of photographs that depict sites of various PP&L subsidiaries and those directly operated by the company. It is a resource that can be used for insight into PP&L's early operations and eastern and central Pennsylvania industrial development. Images within this collection range from 1920 to 1973. Researchers interested in electric power transmission and its development within the state of Pennsylvania would find this collection useful.
Pennsylvania Power & Light traces its origins to the various water and gas light companies that began operating in the eastern part of the state during the mid-nineteenth century. The records of the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company predecessor and subsidiary companies document the history of the gas and electric utility industry in eastern Pennsylvania in the years between 1853 and 1957. The collection includes both the administrative and operating records of more than 1100 companies that merged to form the PP&L system.
Pennsylvania Power & Light Company formed in 1920 through the consolidation of eight electric utilities companies serving central and eastern Pennsylvania. The collection primarily includes corporate papers documenting the company’s acquisition of various competing electric companies in the early-to-mid twentieth century by way of franchise building, market research and corporate communications, hydroelectric development through studies and surveys on Pennsylvania’s waterways, and material documenting the company’s various power plants in central eastern Pennsylvania. Financial and accounting records of the Pennsylvania Water & Power Company, which PP&L acquired in 1955, are also included.
The Stanton steam-generated power plant began operation at Harding, Pennsylvania in 1927. It was run by the Scranton Electric Company, which was later acquired by the Pennsylvania Power & Light Company. Most of the photographs in this collection are snapshots showing the plant and employees between 1934 and 1936. There are many that show a flood which took place on March 17, 1936. The three newspaper clippings report on the demolition of the plant between 1973 and 1976.
- Electric utilities 4
- Electric power-plants 3
- Public utility holding companies 3
- Electric industries 2
- Hydroelectric power plants 2
- Pennsylvania 2
- Coal mines and mining 1
- Consolidation and merger of corporations 1
- Dams 1
- Environmental policy 1
- Floods 1
- Gas companies 1
- Lighting, Architectural and decorative 1
- Natural gas 1
- Nuclear power plants 1
- Power-plants -- Employees 1
- Public utilities 1
- Steam locomotives 1
- Water-supply 1 + ∧ less