skip to searchskip to content
  • facebookrss feedsyoutubetumblr
Christ Church Christiana Hundred photograph collection
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Christ Church Christiana Hundred photograph collection

Accession 2011.222

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
research@hagley.org

Finding aid prepared by Judy Stevenson and encoded by Chase Markee in 2013.

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-08-30T11:51-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Christ Church Christiana Hundred photograph collection (Accession 2011.222), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Christ Church Christiana Hundred photograph collection
Dates: 1859-1998; bulk 1900-1998
Accession Number: 2011.222
Creator: Christ Church Christiana Hundred (Greenville, Del.)
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Physical Description: 64 photographic prints : b&w ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller. 15 photographic prints : color ; 4 x 6 in. or smaller. 16 transparencies : color ; 4 x 5 in. 1 negative : color ; 4 x 5 in.
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: Christ Church Christiana Hundred is an Episcopal church in Greenville, Delaware, founded in 1848 by the du Pont family and Reverend Samuel Brinckle.This collection of Christ Church photographs consists primarily of pictures documenting changes to the church site, both exterior and interior, between 1890 and 1983.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

Records less than twenty-five years old are closed to researchers.

icon

Historical Note

Christ Church Christiana Hundred is an Episcopal church in Greenville, Delaware. Founded in 1848 by the du Pont family and Reverend Samuel Brinckle, Christ Church served as a church to the du Pont family and powder yard employees until 1942 when pew rentals ended and the church opened to the community. Between 1848 and 1852, Rev. Brinckle preached at the Brandywine Manufacturer's Sunday School on the grounds of the Brandywine Gunpowder Works. In 1856 the congregation moved to the newly constructed Christ Church building. The church sanctuary underwent a major renovation in 1914. In 1952, the Chapel of the Christ Child was constructed via a gift of Mary Chichester du Pont Clark in memory of her son, Richard C. du Pont. Today, Christ Church continues to be active in worship and community service.

icon

Scope and Content

This collection of Christ Church photographs consists primarily of pictures documenting changes to the church site, both exterior and interior, between 1890 and 1983. An early photo shows damage to the church building from an explosion at the DuPont powder yards. Pictures from 1914 to 1917 document extensive renovations to the church sanctuary, including the addition of carved wooden ceiling trusses, pink stone columns, a tile floor, mosaic altar and stained glass window. Between 1950 and 1952, the church added a children's chapel to the property as a gift of Mary Chichester du Pont Clark; the construction of the Chapel of the Christ Child is pictured here, as is the formal dedication. In 1957, vestibules and exterior side doors were added to the main church building, flanking the original front entrance; the collection contains photographs of their construction. Finally there are photographs of the ram statue added to the exterior entrance of the Chapel of the Christ Child in 1975, as well as color transparencies showing needlepoint kneelers and pew cushions added in 1983. In addition, a number of well-known parishioners are pictured, including Mr. and Mrs. Lammot du Pont Copeland, Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Clark, Mr. and Mrs. A. Felix du Pont, Henry Belin du Pont, Henry Francis du Pont, and Phyllis Mills Wyeth (Mrs. James Wyeth).

icon
icon

Series Descriptions and Inventory

Box Folder
1 1 Brandywine Manufactures Sunday School, Powder wagon, Pew rental receipt, 1859-1896 [Brandywine Manufacturers' Sunday School, 1896; Powder Wagon, undated [photo by Pierre Gentieu]; Pew rental receipt (reproduction), 1859]
Box Folder
1 2 Interior and exterior Christ Church main building, 1890-1891 [Christ Church, main church building - exterior and sanctuary interior, 1890-1891(including damage to church building from explosion in the powder yards)]
Box Folder
1 3 Exterior Christ Church main building, circa 1900-1910(?) [Christ Church, main church building - exterior, n.d. [ca. 1900-1910?]]
Box Folder
1 4 Exterior and sanctuary interior before and after addition of mosiac altar and stained glass window, circa 1914-1916 [Christ Church, main church building]
Box Folder
1 5 Sanctuary interior Christ Church, 1940-1959
Box Folder
1 6 Basement Christ Church, circa 1940-1950
Box Folder
1 7 Architect's model of Christ Church site, circa 1950
Box Folder
1 8 Children's chapel and education building, construction and dedication, 1950-1952 [Pictured: Mrs. Dudley Clark (Mary Chichester du Pont), Mr. David [Hauston?]]
Box Folder
1 9 Renovations to main church building, 1957 [Addition of vestibules and exterior doors flanking front entrance.]
Box Folder
1 10 Unidentified interior (basement?) with kitchenette, circa 1950-1960
Box Folder
1 11 Members of the first C.C. Junior Altar Guild, unidentified banquet, circa 1943, circa 1950 [Pictured:Pamela Copeland, Lammot du Pont Copeland, Henry Francis du Pont, Henry Belin du Pont.]
Box Folder
1 12 Parishioners exiting church after unidentified service, circa 1960 [Pictured:Mrs. A. Felix du Pont (Marka), Mr. A. Felix du Pont, Mrs. James Mills (Alice), Mrs. Dudley Clark (Mary Chichester du Pont), Mr. Dudley Clark, Mrs. Richard C. du Pont (Allaire), Mrs. Richard C. du Pont, Jr. (Caroline), Christopher du Pont, John O'Hear [Reverend?], Laura Thompson, Ebert Chance, Ray Meitzler, Phyllis Mills Wyeth (Mrs. James Wyeth), Mrs. Edmond du Pont, Mr. Charles Allen.]
Box Folder
1 13 Ram statue in front of children's chapel, circa 1975
Box Folder
1 14 Color transparencies, circa 1954-1995 [Green show altar arrangements, circa 1954, Needlepoint kneelers and pew cushions, circa 1983, Christ Church sanctuary interior, ca. 1983-1995, Chapel of the Christ Child exterior, circa 1975-1995]
Box Folder
1 15 Color photographs, 1994-1998 [Pamela Copeland 1998, Jo Osborn 1998, Spring picnic/event at Christ Church and Brandywine Manufacturers' Sunday School [possibly in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the church], circa 1994-1998.]
Box Folder
1 16 Documents, 1971 February 1, 1971 January 8, 1945 December, undated ["Christ Church Chronicle" Christmas, 1945 and letter re: same"Excerpts from a personal history of the Chapel of the Christ Child" by Mrs. E. Paul du Pont, 1974, Information about the ram statue "Aries" by Charles Cropper Parks]