Alan Wood Steel Company and Upper Merion and Plymouth Railroad Company blueprint maps and stereograph
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2015-12-01T13:49-0500
Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Cite items for this collection in the following format:
The Alan Wood Steel Company was a small, family-controlled integrated steel company, producing primarily steel sheets. The company was incorporated in Pennsylvania as the Alan Wood Company on January 23, 1929, and was renamed the Alan Wood Steel Company on February 16, 1929. It represented a reorganization and recapitalization of an earlier firm, the Alan Wood Iron and Steel Company. The Upper Merion & Plymouth Railroad, organized in 1907, connected all the elements of the Wood steel-making complex.
As a small producer, Alan Wood Steel was particularly vulnerable to the competitive pressure that hit the American steel industry in the 1970s. The firm went into receivership and steel operations were shut down on August 1, 1977. The company was reorganized as the Vesper Corporation and continues in the steel shelving business. Part of the rolling mill complex was sold to Lukens Steel of Coatesville, and the rest of the works was razed in late 1990.
The collection includes three blueprint maps showing the layout of industrial buildings at Alan Wood Steel Company, Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, and the track of the Upper Merion and Plymouth Railroad Company. The maps feature the site and railroad tracks at three different time periods: 1950-1955, 1961-1962 and 1995. Also in the collection is a stereograph featuring a blast furnace plant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.