skip to searchskip to content
banner
Jayne Building engraving
print eadcite thisAsk Hagley
Jayne Building engraving

Accession 1998.263

Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library


PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
302-658-2400
askhagley@hagley.org

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2016-08-10T08:18-0400

Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Cite items for this collection in the following format:
[Description and dates], Box/folder number, Jayne Building engraving (Accession 1998.263), Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807

icon

Descriptive Summary

Title: Jayne Building engraving
Dates: circa 1870
Accession Number: 1998.263
Creator: Gihon,, William B.
Extent: 1 images
Physical Description: 1 print : wood engraving ; 15 x 8.5 cm.
Location: GL Box 1.
Language of Material: English
Repository: Hagley Museum and Library: Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department
Abstract: David Jayne (1798-1866) purchased a drug store in Philadelphia in 1836. His patent medicine business grew quickly and he built this new building in 1850. The building was designed by American architects, William J. Johnston (1811-1849) and Thomas U. Walter (1804-1887) and was located at 242 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The firm of Dr. D. Jayne and Son was one of the largest patent medicine firms in the United States, and this building was "the most conspicuous building of the time" in Philadelphia. Engraved on wood and printed by William B. Gihon (dates unknown), an illustrator and engraver.
icon

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

icon

Historical Note

David Jayne (1798-1866) purchased a drug store in Philadelphia in 1836. His patent medicine business grew quickly and he built this new building in 1850 based on the designs of Philadelphia architect William J. Johnston (1811-1849). The project was taken over by American architect, Thomas U. Walter (1804-1887) in 1849. The building was located at 242 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The firm of Dr. D. Jayne and Son was one of the largest patent medicine firms in the United States, and this building was "the most conspicuous building of the time" in Philadelphia. The company printed annual medical almanacs as a marketing tool and often included an image of the large 10 story building on the cover. The building has since been demolished and Independence National Historic Park now stands where the building was once located.

William B. Gihon (dates unknown) was an illustrator and engraver who worked in the Philadelphia area during the mid-to-late nineteenth century.

icon

Scope and Content

The collection includes one image of the Jayne Building, once located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The print was engraved by William B. Gihon (dates unknown), an illustrator and engraver.

icon

Access Points

Architecture--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia.
Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia.
Jayne, David, 1798-1866
Johnston, William J., 1811-1849
Patent medicines.
Walter, Thomas Ustick, 1804-1887
Wood engravings.
icon