Abraham & Straus Department Store paper model
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2016-07-29T08:49-0400
Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Cite items for this collection in the following format:
Abraham & Straus was a Brooklyn, New York based department store chain. It started in 1865 as Wechsler & Abraham, founded by Abraham Abraham (1843-1911) and Joseph Wechsler (1837-1896) in downtown Brooklyn. In 1893, the Straus family, part owners of R.H. Macy and Company, bought out Wechsler, and the name changed to Abraham & Straus. In 1929, Abraham & Straus was one of the four department stores that joined to form Federated Department Stores, Inc., a retail holding company. Like most successful department stores, Abraham & Straus expanded into the suburbs after World War II. In 1994, Federated acquired a bankrupt Macy’s and the following year decided to drop the Abraham & Straus name for the more recognizable Macy’s and Abraham & Straus disappeared from the retail landscape as all their stores were converted to either Macy’s or Federated’s lower-end store, Stern’s.
This collection is a paper fold-out model of the Abraham & Straus Department Store in Brooklyn, New York, showing the interior and the facade of the store. It is accompanied by a sheet of paper figures and the original mailing envelope.