American Car and Foundry Company and Hamilton Watch Company sheet music for company songs
Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library
PO Box 3630
Wilmington, Delaware, 19807
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit, 2015.
Finding aid prepared using best local practices and Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Cite items for this collection in the following format:
The American Car and Foundry, Company was founded through the consolidation of 13 independent train car manufacturing companies in 1899. It is credited with building the first all-steel passenger railway car at their Berwick, Pennsylvania plant in 1904. In 1955, it changed its name to ACF Industries, Incorporated. In 1962, it closed the Berwick plant. It changed its name again in 2003 to ACF Industries, LLC. It still is a leading American manufacturer of railcars and railcar parts. Its manufacturing plant is in Milton, Pennsylvania.
The Hamilton Watch Company was founded in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1892. By the turn of the 20th century, it became watch used by the railroad industry to accurately tell time. During World War II, Hamilton ceased making watches for the consumer market and began production of several models of chronometer to meet the needs of the US Armed Forces, especially the US Navy's, for an accurate timepiece that could be used for sea navigation. In January 1957, Hamilton introduced the world's first electric wristwatch, the first significant change in watches since the early 16th century. They developed the first digital watch in 1970. The Hamilton brand is currently owned and manufactured by the The Swatch Group out of Switzerland.
This collection contains two pieces of sheet music: "Volume for Victory," the song of the A.C.F. (American Car and Foundry Company) and "Hamiltonia," song of the Hamilton Watch Company. The cover of the A.C.F. music includes a photograph of the band and chorus of the A.C.F., Berwick, Pennsylvania. The Hamilton piece is not illustrated, but has a Hamilton watch coat-of-arms on the back.